January 2, 2009

Eggplant Salsa

This recipe comes from a dear friend who is Spanish. My family are salsa fiends and simply LOVE this. I can not make too much of it.

Recipe:
 
This eggplants reminded me of a character from a cartoon called Doug. His friend Skeeter bares a striking resemblance to this vegetable.



Dice up the eggplant

Let it sit in water until you're ready to use it. This will stop it from discolouring.

















Dice the onion and the capsicums







Blend/puree tomatoes. When you blend them there is no need to peel them. This makes things so much easier and less messy.







I couldn't find any vegetable bullion easily here in Utah so this is what I used. I have since found I can order the bullion from online stores. All is right in the world again.
Cover the ingredients with the blended tomatoes.





Cook it down till you are happy with the consistency.









1 eggplant, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 red (or green) capsicums (peppers)
Tomatoes (maybe 2 or 3) blended/pureed
Vegetable stock cubes to taste (I use between 3-5 per batch...but can add more if you want)
Oil (I really don't know how much. Enough to cover the bottom of the saucepan you're using)

Heat oil and put in eggplant. Cook until eggplant isn't white anymore. Now add onion and cook for a minute or two. Add capsicum and mix well. Crumble stock cubes into mixture. Taste to see if you need to add some more. Now add the tomato juice....just enough to cover the ingredients. Bring to the boil. Stir every now and again so mixture doesn't stick to the bottom and burn. Turn down to simmer. Simmer until you reach the consistency you like.

You can blend this if you don't like chunky salsa.

I haven't tried canning/bottling this yet. Mainly because it doesn't matter how much I make, it's gone in a matter of days.

I'd love to hear from you after you've tried this recipe to see if you love it as much as I do or to share what you may have done a little differently.

I have found the perfect bowl to go with this salsa recipe. Check out salsa bowl to find out more.

If you enjoy this recipe then you may also like this recipe KUNG PAO CHICKEN

2 comments:

Jane said...

Sounds yummy. I am allergic to capsicum - I wonder what it will be like without it or if I can use something else?

Jane
you know me
www.janezworld.com
daily blog

Wendy said...

I believe it would taste good if you omitted the capsicum. I'm looking for ideas of things to use as a substitute but they all seem to say 'red pepper flakes'...HELLO!!!! That's the same thing only in powder form.