October 27, 2008

Homemade Tim Tams

Ohhhh we all know that Tim Tams are a girl's best friend. Those who have not yet discovered this fact....I'm so sorry....but hold off any thoughts of hopelessness. Read on there is a surprise. We all love truffles. I came across a recipe that combines BOTH!!! I kid you not!!!

So here's the recipe for Tim Tam Truffles:

One packet of Tim Tams (good so far right)
One packet of cream cheese (low fat if you want but WHY??? you're using a packet of Tim Tams!!!!!!!!!)
Melting chocolate
Skewers (optional)

You'll want to crush the Tim Tams so they are very fine. Look for the texture of bread crumbs...or finer (using a food processor would be great or even your blender). No you're going to add in the cream cheese and mix really well. Wrap it in plastic wrap...put it in a zip lock back....cover with foil...any of these will work, and chill. Chill for a couple of hours (BE PATIENT!!)

Take the mix out from the fridge and roll into about wallnut size. (That size so you don't just shove the entire thing in your mouth in one go.....try and look like you can control yourself at least.) Put it on the tip of the skewer and dip it in melted chocolate. Ohhhh I forgot to say MELT THE CHOCOLATE) You can sprinkle some coconut over it if you want....drizzle melted white chocolate....or instead of dipping it in chocolate you can just roll it in cocoa.

Now for the SURPRISE!!!!!!!!

I have searched the internet. Looked in every nook and cranny and FOUND a recipe for a Tim Tam bikkie. I have not tried it yet....but you can bet I will. I just couldn't wait to post it is all. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it but reckon it could work in a pinch. The recipe is exactly how I found it. Should I make some changes to it after I make it I will come back and let you know. If you make them before me and found something else works, PLEASE come back and let us know. To my American friends; I hope you can understand the recipe. I've tried to link up some ingredients to sites that explain them. If you're still confused, let me know.

Here's a conversion site: Online conversion

Here's a translation:

biscuits = Cookies
bikkies = cookies
copha = don't even bother...you have nothing like it. Crisco or lard comes close but Ewwww Ohhh hang on....parafin might work. Don't you sometimes use that to melt with chocolate? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a site that can help with more fun Aussie words: Also known as Strine

Homemade tim tams

250g pack Jersey caramels
20g butter
1 tablespoon cream
1 and 1/2 packs (375g) Morning Coffee biscuits
450g dark chocolate melts (or use real chocolate for a better flavour)
40g copha

Line two oven trays with foil.

Combine the caramels, butter and cream in a small pan. Stir over a low heat until caramels have melted and mixture is smooth. cool slightly until mix begins to thicken.

Sandwich two biscuits together with 1 teaspoon of caramel mixture. Repeat with remaining biscuits. Let the biscuits rest for 15 minutes or until the caramel firms.

Combine the chocolate and copha in a small bowl and stand the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.

Use two forks to dip the biscuits in the chocolate mixture, shake off the excss and place on the prepared trays to set.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Brenn said...

Those tim tam truffles sound delicious! They're really good if you use oreo's too (we have a severely limited amount of tim tams in the U.S.--I'm DYING from Tim Tam withdrawal!!

Wendy said...

Oooooooooo Oreo's sound good too. Putting that on my shopping list this week. :)

I've heard that Target in the US are now selling Tim Tams. Of course you have to be quick 'cos EVERYONE wants them. :)

Thanks for your comments.

Morgan Whitaker said...

May i please use this Recipe for my year 12 HSC practical assessment? :)

Wendy said...

Morgan....YES please do, and be sure to stop back and let me know how you did. :)

Unknown said...

When I come over please don't make me fatter! haha