November 25, 2008

Scones/Biscuits

Yesterday I tried out two recipes that were quick and EASY AS. Two recipes for scones (or for my US friends...biscuits).

Cheesy Scones:

1 cup self raising flour (in lieu of SR flour 1 cup plain flour, 2 tsp baking powder 1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar)
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter or marg
1 cup grated cheese
1/3 cup milk

Heat oven to 200 degrees C (450 degrees F). Cut or rub in butter and flour till it looks like bread crumbs. Stir in cheese and milk. Stir until mixture forms soft dough (a little....VERY little...more flour can be added if dough is too sticky)

Turn onto lightly floured surface (I use one of those cheap cutting 'boards' that come in different colours for fish, dairy, poultry etc...such easy clean up). Knead only 8-10 times or until dough is smooth-ish. Pat into a 6 inch square. Cut into 9 squares (can use scone cutter but squares leave no off cuts). Place on ungreased baking tray (I still use baking paper). Bake for 10-12 mins or until golden brown.

Optional: I also threw in a handful of chopped ham.

The other one is TOO easy. I got it from my friend Naomi. THANKS Naomi.

Lemonade Scones:

3 cup SR flour
1 cup lemonade (for my US friends that would be SPRITE and NOT what you would call lemonade)
1 cup cream

Mix all ingredients until they come together. Turn onto floured surface and knead lightly. Cut scones and place on baking tray. Pop into pre-heated oven (180 degrees C or 350 degrees F) for about 15 mins or until lightly browned.

Serve with cream and jam.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

No comments: