August 12, 2012

The Olympics, A View From The Couch

I'm not someone who sits around watching sports. There is only one game that is important to me and I even get up at 3am to watch it. It is the State of Origin.

This year is the first year I have plonked myself in front of the couch and watched so much of the Olympics. It
is also the first year I have been able to.

I have always enjoyed watching gymnastics but other than that I don't know that I have cared much about anything else. Sure I like to know who won but never felt the need to sit and watch them run around a track or throw something. That was until I was able to do it this year.

I found myself holding my breath as the swimming races were so close at the end. I watched for the splash at the end of each dive. I moved in a way that was sure to help the gymnast and the trampolinist get more height in their bounce or flip. I cheered for the underdog and cried as the gold medal winner stood and listened to their national anthem.

I watched in amazement as Usain Bolt sped along the track or as Leo Manzano came from the back of the field in tenth place and ended up with with a silver medal. (Did you see that race?? It was incredible!) And what about beach volleyball?? Who knew I'd even watch?

To me this was not an event of which country is superior but rather how incredible the human body is and the passion of people. I love hearing the back stories of the athletes and how they got to where they are. It doesn't matter to me which country they come from the passion is still the same.

The other day my 16 year old son sat down to watch with me. As he watched girls twirling around and throwing balls in the air, he said "This shouldn't be an Olympic sport". Then the young girl did a magnificent move and he couldn't help but say "Wow". It's the 'wow' that makes it an Olympic sport. There was a lot of 'Wow' going on these past two weeks.

The only problem I have with the Olympics finishing is that there is nothing worth watching on TV now.

No comments: