June 12, 2010

Rice

I've been given a lot of rice that needs to be used in a timely manner. So I've been looking up recipes online to see what I can 'create' with it. For me to try a recipe it has to meet a certain criteria. It has to sound yummy, it has to use normal ingredients...not ones you have to find at a specialty store and use only for that particular recipe, and it has to be easy. With that in mind I am including on my blog, the recipes I have found that I plan on trying over the next couple of weeks.

I have looked through HUNDREDS of recipes but only found a few that meet all my requirements. So many of them use ingredients I can't even pronounce let alone know where to buy. Oh well. So here are the few recipes I've found so far. I will continue searching because now it's a challenge to find more than just these few.

Sticky Rice

Soak the rice in cold water overnight. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again. Place in a steamer lined with muslin or greaseproof paper and steam for 40 minutes or until soft, swollen and sticky.

Reserve 2 teaspoonfuls of the coconut cream that has risen to the top of the can. In a large bowl, mix remaining coconut milk with salt and sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add the rice, stirring well, then cover and leave for 30 mins to absorb the milk.

To serve

Serve at room temperature. Place a large spoonful of rice on each plate. Cut the bananas into chunks on an extreme diagonal and arrange next to the rice. Spoon the reserved coconut cream over the top and scatter with sesame seeds.

Serves 4.

Arroz con huevo frito(rice and fried eggs)

This is a Cuban dish.

1 cup of white rice
2 cups of water
1 pinch of salt
4 garlic cloves

Stir all ingredients together, cook for 20 minutes or till ready.

In a pan put 1/4 cup of olive oil. Cook eggs...count on two eggs per person. When eggs are cooked put them on top of the rice. Salt to taste.

Rice Dish for Po' Folk

1 c. kidney beans
2 c. cooked rice
1 c. stewed tomatoes seasoned with chopped onions
Basil
Butter
Salt and pepper

Optional: Green pepper, oregano, parsley.


No comments: