August 15, 2008

Service

My father is speaking in church on Sunday on the topic of 'Service'. It has had me thinking about all the wonderful things people have done for me and my family over the years and some things I've only recently found out about.

A story my father shared recently with me was of coming home from the hospital after one of his (many) surgeries, to find the front yard mowed and trimmed. This is no small feat considering their house is on two acres. The area taken care of was equal to an entire house lot....at least. They thought the city council had come through and mowed..until they saw who was to thank for such a task. It was a man in the ward who had come to do this service for my mum and dad. The reason that he had to do it that day was because he was due to go into hospital for yet another procedure and didn't think he'd make it out this time. This man, though the possibility of death within days, wanted to do something for my parents. THAT is service and will NEVER be forgotten by my parents or this most grateful daughter.

I think of all the blessings that have been a part of my life because of others. The tears I've cried on the shoulders of others. The meals and the generosity of various kinds. All have blessed my life.

I think of a dear sister who has been a member for over 40 years. How she stood one Sunday recently and shared her 'good news'. The good news was that in all the years she's been a member that week was the first time that someone dropped off a plate of cookies to her. Her son couldn't believe it. After all the service she had given (and there has been alot) that this was the first time that someone has shown her some service. She said she never did those things with the thought, or expectation of others doing something for her. She was happy to serve and has never complained. It is my goal to never let others wait so long for a plate of cookies to be brought around.

I love what Sis Hinckley said:

“I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, Wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, Perfectly manicured fingernails.

I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking the kids to scout camp.

I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenck’s lawn.

I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children.

I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone else’s garden.

I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and Tears of a friend on my shoulders.

I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”

That's exactly how I want to be too. Can you imagine if we all tried to live our life in such a way? What a wonderful world we'd live in.

So I will continue asking myself the questions: "Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad or made someone feel glad?"

No comments: